NOTE: We are booked to hold our show "live" in the Old Town Hall from September 11 to 25, 2022. Of course, that depends on the best health guidelines available at the time, so we are also planning in case we have to be online-only, as we were in 2020 & 2021. These guidelines will be largely the same for either case. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Before you start filling out your application, please carefully review these APPLICATION GUIDELINES: (Click here for a pdf version)
If the pandemic has hit you hard financially and the entry fee is difficult for you, we can waive your fee.
Conditions of Entry – 2022 Newmarket Juried Art Show
- The NJAS is open to all artists living and working in Southern Ontario.
- All work must be designed and created by the entrant, with no commercial kits or patterns and nothing created under instruction.
- There is no time constraint. We know that artists often re-discover older pieces that have gained new meaning over time.
- All media will be eligible except video (we’re still not set up for that).
- DUE DATE: 5 p.m. ET Saturday, Aug 13, 2022
- There is a non-returnable jurying fee of $40.00 per artist for up to 3 works submitted. No other fee will be charged.
- Special 2022 note 1: As with 2021, a partial refund will be offered if the venue cannot be open because of the pandemic. Refunds will be by Interac transfer, or through PayPal if that’s how you paid. PayPal refunds will have the PayPal fee deducted.
- Special 2022 note 2: We will waive the entry fee for artists who have been hit hard financially by the pandemic. Honour system – we won’t ask.
- Receipts (not for taxes) will be issued after the show for the full amount you pay.
- There will be a minor commission charged by the Town of Newmarket. This is new in 2022, and should be in the range of 3% to 5%, or a flat amount of a couple of dollars to cover their handling of the payment. Work may be for sale, but does not have to be.
- Jurist details will be on the website.
- Images will be blind-juried. Signatures will be blurred out. Watermarked images will be rejected. Beforehand, if your images are not of satisfactory quality for jurying, we will work with you to try to get ones that are. Only .png, .jpg and .jpeg files can be accepted.
- The Jury’s decision is final. No entry may be withdrawn once it has been accepted, including if the work has been sold.
- The artist grants the Newmarket Juried Art Show the right to photograph accepted works for publicity, educational and reference purposes.
- Your application indicates acceptance of all the above.
The following are Entry Conditions for the Show going live at The Old Town Hall galleries.
- Works chosen for the exhibition would be delivered on September 11 or 12 , a few days before the show opens. Two-dimensional works must be ready to hang, mounted or framed, and with hanging wire, preferably attached to two D-ring hangers. The gallery has display plinths for 3D work. Gallery staff does the hanging and placement.
- Works must be delivered by the artist or designate. If works are sent via a delivery service, the deliverer must sign them in after inspection. In either case, wrapping must be taken away.
- The Town of Newmarket will insure the works only on its premises and during the show. Town staff hang the show and supervise the gallery space; there is no need for artists to gallery sit.
- The Jurors and Directors reserve the right to disqualify any work that is misrepresented by the image used in the jurying process.
How to enter and pay
- To start the submission, you will give the artist name & contact information.
- After that, you will give the information and images for up to three pieces of work. For each artwork you submit, include title, dimensions of work in inches (including framing in case the Show can go live, but do not include framing in the images you send), medium, sale price (or NFS), insurance value and a brief artist’s statement about the piece.
- Up to three pieces may be submitted for consideration by the jury, with up to 3 images for each work. JPEG and PNG images only are accepted, and will be viewed on a high-resolution monitor.
- To make your life easier, re-size and rename your files before starting to fill in your application.
- Large image files with lots of definition will look best to the jury panel. On 3D works the 2nd and 3rd images can be used for different views. On 2D work, such as a painting, you can submit an overall photo as well as one or two shots of interesting detail in the work.
- NOTE: In some cases you will want to make your image somewhat smaller, especially if your email service sets a limit. If you don’t have the software on your computer, you can use a free online tool like Reduce Images, at https://www.reduceimages.com/) Be sure to look carefully at the result to make sure your work still looks good.
- File Naming (This is important): Use only alphanumeric characters in your file names. It is helpful, but not required, if the file name matches the title. If you do not know how to change a file name, don’t worry.
- Payment options are on the online entry form: PayPal, e-transfer or cheque. Cheques have to arrive by the deadline. PayPal takes a percentage of your payment for itself.
- Deadline: Saturday, Aug 13, 5 p.m. Eastern
- Notification: by Saturday Aug 27
- Delivery of Accepted Works: Sept 11 or 12 (If the Show goes live)
- Exhibition Dates: Sept 12-25 (subject to maybe a day change to allow pickup & dropoff); and beyond, online on our website, and in 3D on ArtGateVR)
- Opening Gala: Sept 15, starting at 7 pm, if the Show is live. Otherwise there will be an online Gala, as there was in 2020 & 2021 – you will be sent an invitation link (Bring your own wine & snacks for the online Gala :^)
- International Virtual 3D Reception on ArtGateVR: Date TBA
- Pick up work: TBD, probably Sept 25 or 26 (If they were dropped off – that pandemic thing again)
(Note: If it’s marked with a *, it’s mandatory.)